Due to Covid-19, most of the health care organizations and governments has ordered their citizens to wear face mask to protect themself. This novel research presents a tactical methodology for rapid detection whether a person is wearing a face mask or not. It is entirely different from the existing system; the singular aim of the proposed system is to train the deep learning model with a minimum number of image samples and to operate face mask instance segmentation and along with object box detection. In this work, we proposed a novel and semantic pixel-to-pixel region based deep network which can detect no of face mask instances in different categories pixel wise to organize the segment bounding box and the confidence of the various categories for each pixel. This system experimental output demonstrate that this approach can effectively and precisely detect the face mask with multi-feature combination. It is also reported that our application performance outperforms the existing system.
Cite this article:
Shashank Swaroop. A Naive and Semantic Approach for Detecting Face Mask Region Based Convolutional Neural Networks (R-CNN). Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2021;12(4):105-9. doi: 10.52711/2321-581X.2021.00018
Shashank Swaroop. A Naive and Semantic Approach for Detecting Face Mask Region Based Convolutional Neural Networks (R-CNN). Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2021;12(4):105-9. doi: 10.52711/2321-581X.2021.00018 Available on: https://www.ijersonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-12-4-3
1. Rajeev Ranjan, Ankan Bansal, Jingxiao Zheng, Hongyu Xu, Joshua Gleason, Boyu Lu, Anirudh Nanduri, Jun-Cheng Chen, Carlos D. Castillo, Rama Chellappa A Fast and Accurate System for Face Detection, Identification, and Verification 2019
2. K. He, G. Gkioxari, P. Dollár, and R. B. Girshick, “Mask R-CNN,” in IEEE ICCV, pp. 2980–2988, 2017.
3. K. He, X. Zhang, S. Ren, and J. Sun, “Deep residual learning for image recognition,” in IEEE CVPR, pp. 770–778, 2016.
4. T. Lin, P. Dollár, R. B. Girshick, K. He, B. Hariharan, and S. J. Belongie, “Feature pyramid networks for object detection,” in IEEE CVPR, pp. 936–944, 2017.
5. T.-Y. Lin, M. Maire, S. Belongie, J. Hays, P. Perona, D. Ramanan, P. Dollár, and C. L. Zitnick, “Microsoft coco: Common objects in context,” in Computer Vision – ECCV 2014,
6. D. Fleet, T. Pajdla, B. Schiele, and T. Tuytelaars, Eds. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2014, pp. 740–755.
7. M. Najibi, P. Samangouei, R. Chellappa, and L. S. Davis, “SSH: single stage headless face detector,” in IEEE ICCV, pp. 4885–4894, 2017.
8. S. Zhang, X. Zhu, Z. Lei, H. Shi, X. Wang, and S. Z. Li, “Sˆ3fd: Single shot scale-invariant face detector,” in IEEE ICCV, pp. 192–201, 2017.
9. H. Jiang and E. G. Learned-Miller, “Face detection with the faster RCNN,” in IEEE FG, pp. 650–657, 2017.
10. S. Zhang, R. Zhu, X. Wang, H. Shi, T. Fu, S. Wang, T. Mei, and S. Z. Li, “Improved selective refinement network for face detection,” CoRR, vol. abs/1901.06651, 2019.
11. Ross Girshick, Jeff Donahue, Trevor Darrell, and Jitendra Malik. Rich feature hierarchies for accurate object detection and semantic segmentation. In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, pages 580–587, 2014.
12. Jonathan Long, Evan Shelhamer, and Trevor Darrell. Fully convolutional networks for semantic segmentation. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pages 3431– 3440, 2015.
13. Liang-Chieh Chen, George Papandreou, Iasonas Kokkinos, Kevin Murphy, and Alan L Yuille. Deeplab: Semantic image segmentation with deep convolutional nets, atrous convolution, and fully connected crfs. arXiv preprint arXiv:1606.00915, 2016.
14. Shuai Zheng, Sadeep Jayasumana, Bernardino Romera-Paredes, Vibhav Vineet, Zhizhong Su, Dalong Du, Chang Huang, and Philip HS Torr. Conditional random fields as recurrent neural networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pages 1529– 1537, 2015.
15. Haoxiang Li, Zhe Lin, Xiaohui Shen, Jonathan Brandt, and Gang Hua. A convolutional neural network cascade for face detection. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pages 5325–5334, 2015.
16. Sachin Sudhakar Farfade, Mohammad J Saberian, and Li-Jia Li. Multiview face detection using deep convolutional neural networks. In Proceedings of the 5th ACM on International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, pages 643–650. ACM, 2015.
17. Shuo Yang, Ping Luo, Chen-Change Loy, and Xiaoou Tang. From facial parts responses to face detection: A deep learning approach. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pages 3676–3684, 2015.
18. Hongwei Qin, Junjie Yan, Xiu Li, and Xiaolin Hu. Joint training of cascaded cnn for face detection. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pages 3456–3465, 2016.
19. Chenchen Zhu, Yutong Zheng, Khoa Luu, and Marios Savvides. Cmsrcnn: contextual multi-scale region-based cnn for unconstrained face detection. arXiv preprint arXiv:1606.05413, 2016.
20. A. Bansal, R. Ranjan, C. D. Castillo, and R. Chellappa, “Deep Features for Recognizing Disguised Faces in the Wild,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, 2018, pp. 10–16.